Swami Mukundananda is a renowned spiritual teacher from India, and is the senior disciple of Jagadguru Shree Kripaluji Maharaj. He is the founder of the Yogic system called “Jagadguru Kripaluji Yog.” Swamiji is a unique sanyasi (in the renounced order of life), who has a distinguished technical and management educational background as well.
Academic and Professional Accomplishments of Swami Mukundananda
Swami Mukundananda completed B.Tech. from the world-renowned Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi. He then did MBA from the equally distinguished Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Kolkata. After that, he worked for some time with one of India’s topmost industrial houses. However, distinguished material education and a promising corporate career did not quench his thirst for knowing the Absolute Truth. The longing for God was so strong that he renounced his career and travelled throughout India as a sanyasi.
Swami Mukundananda at the Lotus Feet of his Spiritual Master
During these travels, he closely associate with many elevated Saints of India, read the writings of the great Acharyas of the past, and lived in many famous holy places. Ultimately his search took him to the lotus feet of his Spiritual Master, Jagadguru Shree Kripaluji Maharaj (who is lovingly called “Maharajji” by his devotees). He was overawed by the unfathomable scriptural knowledge and ocean of Divine love that he saw manifest in his Spiritual Master. About this first meeting, Maharajji later remarked, “He recognized me as one would recognize his mother.” Under the guidance of Shree Maharajji, he practiced intense sadhana while residing at the ashram. He also extensively studied the Vedic scriptures, and the Indian and Western systems of philosophy. Upon completion of his studies, his Guru entrusted him with the key task of propagating the ancient knowledge of the Eternal Truth the world over. Swami Mukundananda was first introduced to yogasans and Hatha Yog meditational techniques in childhood, and he continued its practice while growing up. As he transitioned to Bhakti Yog, he changed his meditational techniques, but continued with his daily practice of yogasans. Seeing his interest in Yog, Kripaluji Maharaj asked him to teach a holistic system of Yog, to correct the anomaly in the Western world, where Yoga was being taught as a mere physical science. On his Spiritual Master’s instructions, Swamiji visited reputed Yoga Universities all over India, studying their yogic techniques. He then incorporated the best practices of Hatha Yog, and amalgamated it with Bhakti Yog, to formulate the system of “Jagadguru Kripaluji Yog.”
For the last quarter of a century, Shree Swamiji has been traveling far and wide, awakening hundreds of thousands of seekers. Wherever Swamji goes, he attracts huge audiences. Hearing the profound secrets of the Vedas from him is a rare privilege, for he is able to explain the ancient esoteric knowledge with rigourous scientific logic, in the modern context. Using perfect logic, and a simple-yet-scientific approach, Swamiji offers new ways of understanding and applying the knowledge of the scriptures in our daily lives. The hallmark of his lectures is the ease with which he dispels various myths and misnomers associated with the various paths of God-realization, and his ability to penetrate even the toughest minds and convince them with depth of understanding and scriptural veracity.
Swamiji’s lectures cover the teachings of the Vedas, Upanishads, Shreemad Bhagavatam, Puranas, Bhagavad Geeta, Ramayan, and other Eastern scriptures and Western philosophies. Like the true Disciple of a true Master, Swamiji masterfully quotes from the scriptures of all the great religions, to satisfy even the most discerning of knowledge-seekers. He also reveals the simple and straightforward path to God-realization that can be practiced by anyone. Although Swami Mukundananda started preaching in India two decades ago, he now preaches both in India and abroad. He has inspired innumerable devotees in Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong, where his visit is always anxiously awaited. Since 2008, on the instruction of Shree Maharajji, Swamiji has increasingly begun spending more time in USA, where his educational background and command over the English language make his programs particularly charming to the intelligentsia, professionals, and academicians.
His lectures cover the teachings of the Vedas, Upanishads, Bhagavatam, Puranas, Bhagavad Geeta, Ramayan, and other Eastern and Western philosophies. Like the true disciple of a true master, Swami Mukundananda masterfully quotes from scriptures of different religions, to satisfy even the most discerning of knowledge seekers. He also reveals the simple and straightforward way of God-realization which can be practiced by anyone. Another special feature about his lectures is that he establishes every spiritual truth through scriptural quotations, irrefutable logic and humorous real-life illustrations. His wisdom filled anecdotes, humorous stories and clarity has the audience both enthralled and entertained for the entire duration of his lecture! The discourses offered by Swamiji are specially designed for those people who have unanswered questions about spirituality, and are looking for satisfactory answers. Some of the questions addressed in his lectures are:
- What is the goal of life?
- We are all searching for happiness, yet we remain discontented. Why?
- What is the nature of God? Why is He beyond our intellect, mind and senses?
- What is the Grace of God? How is it attained?
- What is sharanagati or surrender to God?
- Why do we experience lust, anger, greed, envy, illusion etc.? How can they beconquered?
- The Vedas mention three paths to God-realization: karm, gyan and bhakti. What is the difference between them? Who is qualified for which path?
- Do all paths of karm, gyan and bhakti lead to the same goal or different goals?
- Is it possible to attain God even while staying in household life? What is the karm yog of the Bhagavad Gita?
- What is the difference between the worship of the personal and the impersonal forms of God?
- What is Divine love and how is it different from worldly love?
- How can one establish a personal relationship with God?
- What is the basis for choosing one’s worshipped form of God?
- What do the scriptures say about the need for a Spiritual Master? How do we recognize a genuine Guru?
- What is meditation? How and when should Sadhana (devotional practice) be done ?
Scriptural Confusions Dispelled
The ancient Hindu scriptures like the Vedas, Upanishads, Shreemad Bhagavatam, Bhagavad Gita, Ramayan, etc. are all treasure houses of Divine knowledge. They were either directly spoken by God in his various descensions on earth, or were inspired by him in the hearts of the Saints. But when these great scriptures are read individually, they appear to have many contradictions. This has led to much confusion in the minds of people. In his lectures, Swamiji answers such questions which have always puzzled people and shows the clear, simple truth. Some of the confusions and contradictions which he addresses are:
1. a) God can never be seen or understood by our material senses and intellect because He is Divine. b) God can be seen, attained and understood, even through our material senses and intellect. The God-realized Saints in the past have done so.
2. a) God is attained through His Grace, and not through our self-effort. b) Unless we exert effort and do sadhana, we cannot attain God.
3. a) Everything happens by the will of God. Without his inspiration, not even a leaf can move. b) We are responsible for our own actions. God is only an impartial judge of our activities.
4. a) What we get in this life is the consequence of our actions in past lives. We are all controlled by our destiny. b) We all have the free-will to act. We are the makers of our own destiny.
5. a) This world is mithya or unreal since it is made of maya. b) This world is satya or real, and necessary for the maintenance of the body. Without it we cannot live.
6. a) Liberation from material bondage is the ultimate goal of spirituality. b) The desire for liberation is a selfish desire, and only when we give it up can we attain pure Divine love.
7. a) Service to man is service to God. One who performs his worldly duties sincerely, does not need to worship God. b) Devotion to God is not the same as the performance of worldly duties. It must be separately accomplished.
8. a) Our surrender and single-minded devotion should be towards God alone. b) Unless we surrender to a Guru, we cannot reach God.
9. a) The aim of meditation is to think of God and establish the mind in God. b) The aim of meditation is to stop the thinking process and quiet the mind. Click here to Swamiji’s lecture.
Bhajans & Kirtans
The most invaluable treasure attainable in the human form is Selfless Divine Love. This Divine love is the culmination of all spiritual knowledge. It is experienced not through the intellect, but through the heart. When our heart melts for our Beloved Lord, an intense longing for His Divine Vision develops. This cleanses the mirror of the mind and destroys its negativities. The consciousness is united with God in love, and the devotee experiences perfect Bliss. In his programs, Swamiji chants the sweetest bhajans that inspire devotional love and transport the consciousness to subliminal heights. Click here to listen kirtan in Swamiji’s voice.
Founder of the System of Jagadguru Kripaluji Yog
Shree Swami Mukundananda has founded many organizations in India with permanent centers and ashrams, such as Jagadguru Kripalu Yog Trust, India, Radha Govind Dham, Delhi, Radha Krishna Bhakti Mandir, Cuttack, Radha Govind Dham, Berhampur, Shyama Shyam Dham, Jajpur, Radha Govind Dham, Parla Khemundi, Radha Govind Dham, Karanjia, etc. In USA, Swamiji has inspired the formation of Jagadguru Kripaluji Yog, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. In the space of a few years, JKYog centers have opened throughout the length and breadth of USA. For more information on Jagadguru Kripalu Yog, click here Swamiji cares deeply about imparting Hindu cultural and religious values to the younger generation, especially in the West. Towards this end, he has conceived a special Personality Development program for children and young adults. This program is called “The Bal-Mukund Playground for Vedic Wisdom.” It includes character building, yog, meditation, devotional singing and religious training. Many Bal-Mukund centers have been started for the benefit of children, both in USA and in India.
Shree Swamiji’s has a God-gifted ability to keep all kinds of audiences enthralled and entertained through wisdom filled anecdotes, humorous stories and irrefutable logic. He has inspired innumerable people, of all ages, towards the path of God Realization, the world over. Swamiji’s warmth and humility touch all those who have the fortune to have his association. The very presence of Swami Mukundananda radiates Grace and Bliss. Click here to watch more. Follow @swami_mukund